Substance Misuse as a Safeguarding Issue
Practitioners for all agencies working with children and young people should consider whether they are at risk from substance misuse. Where this is the case practitioners should act on any concerns that they have, in line with local safeguarding children boards.
Examples of substance misuse impacting on safeguarding issues:
- A young person caring for another child while under the influence of substances
- Substance misuse problem among young people’s parents or carers
- Sexual or physical abuse related to substance misuse
- Self-harm or suicidal behaviour related to substance misuse
- High-risk substance misuse behaviour such as Injection by a third party
"THE PLACE" staff recognise that the needs of children and young people are best met through partnership work and always foster positive working relationships with all parties involved in the care of the child or young person. The service works within strict confidentiality guidelines but recognises that at times it is essential to share information to protect the child or young person.
All staff receive safeguarding children and parental capacity training.